No doubt, everyone wants their work to be easy and of high quality. One of the things that influences the ease and quality of your work is the tools you use.
Getting the right impact wrench is vital if you want to have good results while working. It is therefore important to do some research so that you can choose the best impact wrench.
You can easily find the right Impact Wrench for yourself on Autozik.com
Impact Wrench: What is it for?
An impact wrench is a power tool with a socket wrench. It has been designed in a way that it can store energy then deliver it suddenly to the output shaft. This enables you to use less energy while loosening or tightening bolts.
This tool can also be referred to as an impactor, windy gun, impact gun, torque gun, air wrench or air gun. It can be powered by various sources including air or electricity. Impact wrenches can either be corded or cordless.
It is commonly used in various industries. Some of these industries include heavy equipment maintenance, major construction projects and automotive repair among many others.
Impact guns also come in different styles and sizes hence what you choose will depend on its application. Some of its sizes include 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch. Examples of different styles include butterfly, inline and pistol grip.
Types of impact wrench
Impact wrenches are divided into 2 main types: Air Impact Wrenches and Electric Impact Wrenches.
1) Air Impact Wrench
This is the most common impact wrench used in various industries. It is popular because it has a good power-to-weight ratio. It costs less to manufacture and is also affordable for buyers.
In most air impact wrenches, you will find a vane motor that contains between 4 to 7 vanes. A large air compressor is usually required in this type of impact gun due to the large consumption of air.
Different lubrication systems are used in air impact guns. Some air impactors have special oil passages in which the air is directed where it is required. Oiled air is the most common lubrication system.
The challenge faced with an air impactor is that it is hard to control the amount of power. You will thus have a hard time using this type of tool for jobs that require small amounts of power.
2) Corded Electric Impact Wrench
These impact wrenches use electricity as the power use and have a cord attached for power supply. Corded electric impact wrenches are preferred when power output is a major concern. The power output in such impactors is high.
The sizes available include 0.50 inch and 0.75 inch only. This type of impactor is advantageous since it does not require a large compressor. It is also easier to control the amount of power while working.
3) Cordless Electric Impact Wrench
This type of impact wrench is gaining popularity. It is powered by lithium-ion batteries. They are preferred because they are portable which makes it easier to work anywhere, including locations with no electricity.
They are best used in delicate situations. The disadvantage of cordless electric impact wrenches is that their power output is lower compared to corded electric and air impact wrenches.
Safety of Different Impact Wrenches
The air impact wrench is the safest to use. This is because it cannot electrocute you since air is the source of power for this tool.
The corded electric impact wrench is less safe compared to the air impact wrench and the cordless impact wrench. If there are any cut lines, electrocution can occur while the tool is in use.
The cordless electric impact wrench is safe as there is no risk of electrocution.
How To Use an Electric Impact Wrench
Step 1: Choose the Right Socket
Choose the right size of socket and firmly press it onto the square drive of the impactor. Ensure you have disconnected the impact wrench from the power outlet before changing sockets. Using the right socket size is important since using the wrong size could damage your tool.
Step 2: Tightening Nuts
– Install the nut and ensure it is not cross threaded.
– Firmly press onto the impactor’s square drive.
– Choose ‘forward’ setting on the switch
– Gently pull the trigger while firmly holding the impact wrench
– Put the socket head on the nut head
– Gently modulate your finger to regulate speed
– Fully pull the trigger about 3 times to tighten the nut. Do not overdo it since it could cause stress on the work piece
Step 3: Loosening Nuts
– Pull the rocker (on/off) switch
– Place the socket on the fastener. The nut will slowly loosen
– Keep your finger on the trigger until the nut is dislodged if you want it removed.
Step 4: Power off the Machine
– Pull the rocker switch to turn off the machine once you are done working
– Unplug from the power outlet if you are using a corded electric impact wrench
How To Use an Air Impact Wrench
Step 1: Assembly
– Assemble the parts according to the instructions that came with the wrench.
Step 2: Test the Wrench
– Set the pressure between 90 and 100 PSI
– Ensure the hose line is straight to prevent air from getting stuck
– Determine the direction by lightly touching the trigger and observing its motion
– Use the knob on the side of the wrench to change direction. Turn it to clockwise if you want to tighten and anticlockwise if you want to loosen.
Step 3: Adjust the Speed
– Use the switch or dial on the wrench to adjust the speed to your preference. The type of speed will depend on the task you are undertaking.
– Attach the correct socket once the speed is adjusted.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Generally, no impact wrench is better than the other. They are all useful depending on the type of job being performed.
Some of the things you should consider before buying an impact wrench include the task being performed and convenience. Additionally, you should also consider the power output, the sizes available and the cost.
In order to make the best use of your impact wrench, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Not all instructions will be same, they will vary depending on the manufacturer.